Monday, October 12, 2015

Blog PostIt


When reading the Paulo Freire reading I had lots of thoughts. He had lots of things to say and I found his ideas very interesting. The part that stood out to me most was when he said that there needs to be a "solution of the teacher student contradiction" and that the solution doesn’t come from the banking idea of education. I placed a post it note at this point in the reading because I partially disagree with Freire. I think both the banking approach and problem posing approach to education have their advantages and disadvantages. After reading this chapter of his book, I personally believe that a combination of both methods is the best way to approach teaching. When he said that he thought the solution to that problem couldn’t be found in the banking idea, I thought that it was very closed minded. While yes the banking idea may seem harsh and oppressive, it has some positive aspects of it. I found him shutting down the banking approach completely to be very interesting. I think I feel this way because the majority of my high school career was spent in an environment that included both banking and problem posing aspects of learning. The classrooms I spent time in and enjoyed most included a discussion based lecture. The discussion component was more of a problem posing idea and the lecture component was banking. Another though that crossed my mind when reading this was that I think in order to find the best way to teach to a class and to certain students, the teachers need to ask the students how they learn best. The students also need to be straightforward with teachers if the way they are teaching isn't beneficial to them. While there is not one solution to the best  teaching method, I think there are a lot of ways those in the field of education can improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment