Sunday, October 25, 2015

Field Blog 2: Shaker Heights High School


Because I attended an all girls catholic high school I wasn’t sure what to expect going into the Shaker Heights High School visit. I was excited to be going into a high school to observe math classes. Because the past few weeks we have been talking about different qualities that can help to make a teacher great, I decided to look at the teachers I observed and see which of these qualities they possessed. The first class I went into was an advanced class and I really enjoyed the teacher. She was enthusiastic and seemed to care about her students. I also noticed that she was very patient with the students and class as a whole. I was most impressed with her organization. She had note sheets for the students that they filled out during the lesson and it seemed to really help them make sure they got the information they needed. The next teacher I observed also impressed me. He was a younger teacher who seemed to really care about his students. It seemed like he really wanted them to succeed. At times the class got a little chatty but he managed to stay patient and quickly get them back on topic. The way he taught was more discussion based. Instead of just lecturing he would ask the class questions about the problem they were doing. The school as a whole was very diverse and the teachers/staff that I talked to were all very welcoming. Overall I really enjoyed our visit to Shaker and it makes me excited to keep observing teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment