Friday, September 18, 2015

Blog 3: People Watching

After going to Chipotle to observe people I was surprised with what I saw and interpreted based on my beliefs. My t-chart differed in many ways from the description side to interpretation side. As someone walked through the door I would immediately write down what they were wearing, their hair color, and other aspects of their physical appearance. I noticed my self focusing a lot on their clothing which then led me to start making interpretations. My interpretations included their jobs, if they had kids, sometimes what typeof job they had, how they spent their free time,  etc. While I wasn't able to get every detail about every person who walked in, I wrote down details about the people who stood out to me the most. One man came in wearing business clothes, nice dress shoes and pants, a button down shirt, and a tie. He had dark hair and I guessed that he was in his mid 30’s. From his appearance I interpreted that he was some type of business man, maybe in sales. I noticed he had a wedding wring on so I thought maybe he had just gotten married or it could have been a few years ago. I wondered if he had kids and then noticed myself practically writing this mans life story just from what I saw and without even knowing him. Then a woman came in wearing athletic clothes. I thought maybe she could have just come from the gym, or maybe she worked at a gym. Like the previous man I started to give this woman a life. She was older, married, she had kids but they had already gone to college and moved out of the house. What I noticed about myself was that I was writing stories for everyone who walked in. Their appearance set the foundation for the type of life that I thought they would have. I learned about myself that through these stories I hoped that these people were happy with their lives, jobs, kids and families. My beliefs were a factor in how I interpreted people but I think it was in a more positive way than a negative way which pleasantly surprised me. I have always enjoyed people watching but this blog made me think about it in a different way and see how my beliefs affected my interpretations.

No comments:

Post a Comment