Saturday, September 26, 2015

Blog 4: Students Communities and Backgrounds

When Lisa Delpit said  “[Teachers] should recognize that the linguistic form a student brings to school is intimately connected with loved one’s community, and personal identity. To suggest that this form is “wrong” or, even worse, ignorant, is to suggest that something is wrong with the student and his or her family” (p.33) I started to think about how as a future teacher I would respond to students from different backgrounds, family and home life. At my high school a large part of our education included treating everyone one the same and with respect. Through during service and seeing and meeting people from different communities allowed me to act on this idea. While now I like to think that I treat everyone the same, I do still believe that it can be hard at times. Kids form different backgrounds allow the possibility to bring different qualities to the classroom. As a future teacher I want to be able to see a student, get to know them, and then allow their best qualities to be reflected in my classroom. Accepting someone for who they are also lets them know that you care about them, thus strengthening your relationship with them. While differences between students and their community and personal identity will be noticeable, I agree with Delpit when she says that we shouldn't suggest that their way is wrong or ignorant. I also think that it is important to be aware of the differences students have because of their background. Many kids may talk differently, act differently, and learn differently but I think that as a soon to be teacher it is important to set our beliefs aside and do our best to teach them what they need to know for their future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment